Thursday, December 19, 2013

What the Duck?

So, Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame decided to speak his mind on sin during a magazine interview. I can honestly say I don't watch the "reality" show nor have any interest in doing so but, I am tired of seeing people boohoo about A&E "violating" Phil's freedom of speech.
Freedom of Speech can be defined as "the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint." 
Gong by the above definition; none of this happened to him so his freedoms were not violated. 
He spoke, he wasn't censored at the time of his speaking nor was he forbidden to speak. What happened to Phil is an example of the repercussion(fallout, bad press, etc) that can happen from speech that can have a negative impact on the company he signed a contract with. 

Now just as I have the freedom to speak my mind here, the only repercussions I would face would be a deletion of this post and or this blog. I don't have a company I am linked to nor am I a spokesperson or celebrity that needs to have more self control/restraint than the average person.

How quickly we forget others like Paula Deen, whose career was blown apart by her free speech that happened years ago but came back to bite her in the ass. 

I would have taken the same action as A&E if it affects how I do business with others because of his "free speech" / opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment